Sunday, May 31, 2015

Hit & Run

UPDATE (25 November 2015): Sam Ralph of Taupaki, Auckland was charged, convicted and sentenced to 9 months home detention for 1) Assault with a blunt instrument (vehicle), and 2) Failure to stop and ascertain injury (hit and run). He also spent 2 months in police custody awaiting trial on domestic violence charges. Good riddance to him. 

Details of sentencing are below.

************

Its been well over 6 months since I last blogged. I had a decent summer of training (although I didn't race), and I was just settling into an autumn training schedule when I was hit by a car 2 weeks ago.



7.45am on Sunday May 17, 2015. I was riding with 5 others from Rangitoto Rockets on a quiet country road in Taupaki. We were riding at 35-40kph on a 2-lane road that is flat and straight. Suddenly I heard a car's brakes lock-up immediately behind us. Thats very strange, I thought; there is no oncoming traffic. Within a couple of seconds the driver accelerated and pulled up next to me with about 50cm between us and the passenger window down. (The six of us were riding two abreast and I was at the front-right position). The driver shouted out "Get off the fuckin' road" at me. Within a split second he accelerated again but very suddenly swerved to the left. Although it all happened within a second or two, it very much felt like everything was moving in slow motion at the time. His ute and worktray were coming my way and I quickly realised that I had nowhere to go. 



The Toyota LandCruiser's work tray connected with my right hand and handlebar taking me out immediately. I remember falling to my right and then finding myself lying on my back in the middle of the left lane. Tim Fairgray, riding immediately behind me, took a spill as he too had nowhere to go except over me. Greg Kemp, riding to my immediate left, was also hit by the car but managed to stay upright. 

The car sped off and we never saw him again. Here we are in the rural outskirts of Auckland early on a Sunday morning minding our own business and we're deliberately taken down by an angry driver. I couldn't believe it.

I did a quick damage assessment before the guys helped me to my feet. I had skin missing from my knees, legs, elbows, hands and chin, but nothing broken or too serious. My right knee was the worst - most of the skin was gone. All things considered, I was pretty friggin' lucky. My bike was ok too. The brake/shifting lever was broken, my saddle ripped, and a few scratches. 

We were on the phone to police within a few seconds. Although none of us caught his license plate number, we had a very good description of the driver and his car.

Within a couple of minutes, a group of 3 cyclists came upon us and offered help. Once we described what happened, they said they had been stalked and abused by the same driver and vehicle just a few minutes earlier. 

I called Camila and asked her to pick me up from Kumeu. We rode the ~10km to Kumeu at a slow pace. I wasn't in the mood to ride, but sometimes its the best thing as it prevents your body from freezing up post-crash.

Camila took me straight to North Shore Hospital to be cleaned up.

Its now been two weeks since the hit and run. We all submitted police reports within a day or two, including the 3 cyclists in the other group. I was 'hopeful' the police would find the driver. However, we didn't have a license plate, and the driver (being a white male in his 30s/40s) and the vehicle (being a Toyota Landcruiser) didn't give me 100% confidence that we supplied the police with enough information. For the first few days I was feeling very helpless. 

However, by day-3 the police had identified the driver, and by day-5 the police spoke with the driver by phone and he admitted he was "involved" in the incident (although he has not admitted guilt").

At this point, we are waiting for the driver to be summonsed to court. Several criminal charges will be filed against him (which I will detail in the next post).

So, how lucky or unlucky was I? I am the first person I know of in 6 years in Auckland to be deliberately targeted by the driver of a vehicle. But, I was very, very lucky to walk away with only superficial injuries. 

I was back at work the next day, although not very productive. I've also been going back to my GP every second day to have my wounds redressed.

***********

Sentencing Details (25 November 2015 update)

Assault with Weapon: Defendant is convicted and sentenced to pay  Reparation to D Gross $1000 property and $200 emotional harm payable in full by 31/01/2016  AND
Home Detention- (Hamilton address) - commencing 26/11/2015 - 9 Months - standard post detention conditions 6 months
Special Post Detention - 6 months - To attend an assessment for departmental programme to the satisfaction of the probation officer.  If found suitable to attend and complete the as directed by a probation officer.  To attend and complete any counselling, treatment or programme as recommended by the assessment as directed by and to the satisfaction of a probation officer.
To notify a probation officer prior to commencing, terminating or varying any employment or voluntary work.
To attend an assessment for Anger Management as directed by a probation officer.  To attend and complete any counselling, treatment or programme as recommended by the assessment as directed by and to the satisfaction of a probation officer.
To attend an assessment for departmental programme to the satisfaction of the probation officer.  If found suitable to attend and complete the as directed by a probation officer.  To attend and complete any counselling, treatment or programme as recommended by the assessment as directed by and to the satisfaction of a probation officer.
To attend an assessment for Anger Management as directed by a probation officer.  To attend and complete any counselling, treatment or programme as recommended by the assessment as directed by and to the satisfaction of a probation officer AND
Disqualification From Driving - commencing 26/11/2015 - 7 Months

Fail to Sop and Ascertain Injury : Home Detention - 26/11/2015 - 9 Months as above  and  Disqualification From Driving -  commencing 26/11/2015 - 1 Year

Defendant was released on bail until Home Detention sentence commences with conditions that he goes directly to Hamilton address and remain there until the monitoring company arrives on 26/11/15.









2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are very lucky to come off with some minor cuts and bruises. Great news they caught the driver. Looking forward to hearing the verdict!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hospital scene looks all to familiar. I hope the driver is held accountable.

    ReplyDelete